NORALTA JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE BYLAWS
The Noralta Junior Hockey League hereinafter referred to as the Association shall be governed by and subject to following regulations:
101 - Memberships
a) Membership in the league shall be open to, and limited to, recognized minor hockey associations, athletic clubs of communities in North Central Alberta
b) Membership in the league shall be determined each year at the annual general meeting by motion.
c) Members wishing to withdraw from membership may do so upon notice in writing to the board through its Secretary. If any member is in arrears for fees or assessments for any year, such member shall be automatically suspended at the the expiration of six months from the end of such year and shall thereafter be entitled to no membership privileges or powers in the association until reinstated. Any member upon majority vote of all members of the Association in good standing my be expelled from membership for any cause, which the society may deem reasonable.
102 - Structure
a) The league shall consist of a Board of Directors made up of one representative from each of the member communities.
b) A person appointed or elected a Director becomes a Director if they were present at the meeting when being appointed or elected, and did not refuse the appointment. They may also become a Director if they were not present at the meeting but consented in writing to act as a director before the appointment or election, or within ten days after the appointment or election, or if they acted as a Director pursuant to the appointment or election.
c) Any Director or Officer, upon a majority vote of all members in good standing, may be removed from office for any cause which the society may deem necessary.
d) The Board of Directors shall then elect an executive committee consisting of the President, Secretary, Treasurer, Vice President and Ice Allocator.
e) The Association shall abide by all regulations, bylaws and rules of the Alberta Amateur Hockey Association (AAHA) and the Canadian Hockey Association (CHA)
103 - Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Committee shall be responsible for the day to day operation of the Association. Specifically as follows:
Shall be an ex officio member of all committees.
Shall preside all meetings of the league, Board of Directors and Executive.
Shall not vote except to cast a deciding vote.
Shall call all meetings of the Board of Directors at such time and place he deems necessary and shall call such meeting when requested in writing by four Directors of the league who shall stated the business that will raise at such meeting.
Shall have the power to discipline any member of the league for any action detrimental to the objectives of the Association. Any such member shall have the right to appeal to the Appeals Committee.
The position shall be for a period of two(2) years commencing 2001 and will be terminated on odd years thereafter.
Shall carry out the duties of the President in the absence of the President.
This position shall be for a period of two(2) years commencing 2002 and will terminate on even years thereafter/
Shall be responsible for the scheduling of the games for the season.
Shall forward the schedules for the season to the website administrator and the teams in the Association in timely fashion.
This position shall be for a period of two(2) years commencing 2002 and will terminate on even years thereafter.
Shall keep a minute book record of all Association meetings and carry out the normal duties of a secretary.
The position shall be held for a period of two(2) years commencing 2002 and will be terminated on even years thereafter.
Shall receive all moneys of the League and shall pay all bills approved by the Board of Directors or by the President provided the necessary expenses may be paid by him at any time subject to approval by the Board of Directors.
Shall be responsible for the presentation to the annual general meeting the audited financial statements for the previous season. The financial can be audited by a duly qualified accountant or by 2 elected members for the purpose of the AGM. The fiscal year end shall be August 31st of each year.
Shall whenever required by the President or Board of Directors, submit or turnover to the President or Board of Directors all monies, accounts and cheque books pertaining to his office and shall turn over same to his successor when elected or appointed.
The treasurer's books and records shall be audited once a year by a duly qualified accountant or by two members of the Association elected for that purpose at the Annual General Meeting. The Treasurer at the Annual General Meeting of the Association shall submit this statement of the standing of the books for the previous year. The fiscal year end of the Society shall be August 31st of each year.
The books and records of the Association may be inspected by any member of the Association at the Annual General Meeting or any time upon giving reasonable notice and arranging a time satisfactory to the officer or officers having charge of same.
104 - Meetings
- Annual General Meeting - The Association shall hold an Annual Meeting on or before September 30th in each year at which time specific membership for the year shall be determined, elect the Executive Committee and develop specific policies for the season. Members will be notified of the Annual General Meeting by telephone 30 days prior to the meeting date.
- Regular Meetings - The Association with notification to each board member, shall determine the need for and frequency of regular meetings. Regular meetings shall be held at least once per month during the season (August, September, October, November, December, January, February, March and April. A quorum at these meetings shall consist of at least 6 board members elected or appointed. Members are notified of meetings by phone, email or previous scheduling 14 days prior to meetings.
- Special Meetings - In addition to the Annual Meeting, the President may, at his discretion, convene special meetings. In such case the President shall notify each board member by phone, email or previous scheduling 14 days prior to the special meeting.
- Agendas - At all meetings of the league the following shall be the order of business
- Call to Order
- Adoption of the Agenda
- Business arising from the minutes
- Introduction of Guests
- Committee Reports
- Treasurers Report
- Ice Allocator Report
- Vice Presidents Report
- Presidents Report
- Website Report
- Tournament Report
- All Star Report
- New Business
105 - Amendments
- The bylaws may be amended only at the Annual General Meeting with 30 days prior notice to members.
- The Operating Policy and Procedures may be amended at any regular meeting of Association provided that notice of the proposed amendment is given to each member at least 30 days prior to the meeting.
- Amendments require a simple majority of the members votes for adoption. A quorum consists of at least 6 board members elected or appointed.
106 - Operating Policy and Procedures
- The Association shall adopt as an integral part of the Bylaws, a Policy and Procedures Manual which shall be attached to these Bylaws as Appendix A & a list of current executive and directors, witnessed and dated.
- Provisions of the Policy and Procedures Manual may be altered, deleted or added to, by a majority approval of the Board of Directors without the requirement of an extraordinary resolution.
- Policy decisions shall always be in accordance with the bylaws.
107 - Renumeration - Unless authorized at any meeting and after notice for the same shall be given, no officer or member of the Association shall receive any renumeration for his.her services.
108 - Borrowing Powers - For the purpose of carrying out it's objectives, the Association may borrow or raise or secure the payment of money in such manner as it deems fit, and in particular by the issue of debentures, but this power shall be exercised only under the authority of the Association, and in no case shall debentures be issued without the sanction of a special resolution of the Association
109 - Voting - Any member who has not withdrawn from membership nor has been suspended or expelled shall have the right to vote at any meeting of the society. Such votes must be made in person and not by proxy or otherwise.
110 - Committees
The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, Vice President, Ice Allocator, Secretary and Treasurer.
The Board of Directors shall consist of the Executive Committee and one regular director from each member club with each team being entitled to one vote when representation is present.
Any Director failing to attend three consecutive meeting without just cause during a year may, by motion of the Board of Directors, be deemed to have resigned and may be replaced by the board.
111 - Bylaws - In the future the may only be rescinded, altered or added to by a special resolution by the members.
ALBERTA HOCKEY BYLAWS AND REGULATIONS